How to access origami-related files
How do I access the archives of this group via anonymous FTP?
- You may get files by logging in to that server by FTP using the following
Start FTP: FTP rugcis.rug.nl
Password: 'your IP-address'
Change dir: cd origami
Add another cd to change to one of tha data directories
(e.g., models, archives, etc).
Keep in mind when you download from the archives. The best time of
day from North America is in the afternoon.
Making FTP connections from Holland to the USA, I did in the morning and
in the afternoon. The last were very, very much slower. That is because
when it is 10:00 a.m. here, it is about 4:00 a.m. (Eastern) to 1:00 a.m.
(Western) in the USA. At that time, the trans-Atlantic connections are
not so busy.
How do I access the archives of this group via Gopher?
- You may access these files with GOPHER by selecting (sequentially from
menu to menu):
University of Groningen
Rekencentrum RUG Anonymous FTP
Origami Interest Group
This last menu shows you the main menu of the archives. To access one of
the available directories select the apropriate item.
For a shortcut, click
How do I access the archives of this group via Mail?
- To access the archives via Email send a message to:
with one or more commands in the body (the subject is ignored). To get
the HELP information, give the command HELP in the message.
When you get binary files they will be uuencoded. See question 6 for
information on how to uudecode these.
What information is available in the archives?
- As the information in the archives is not static, only an overview of the
available information is given here. You may get an index of the actual
status by getting the file:
This file contains a `short' index on all available information.
It shows tree structure of the information (directories and files).
Some special items are:
- Directory with several FAQs in it.
- This directory contains the archive files of all mail that has been
sent via this mailing list.
- Some members of this list have put the drawings of models on
PostScript file. The available models are put in this directory.
- On this directory programs pertaining to origami and also pkunzip and
uudecode are available.
- Contains files with the GhostScript system for MSDOS. You may use this
to print PostScript files when you don't have a PostScript printer.
- Directory with several lists with addresses valuable to the Origami
- Index of 2869 models from 72 books showing type of model, type of
fold, author, etc.
- Contains three forms of the Online Origami Magazine.
How do I unzip .zip files?
- Get the program pkunzip from the archives. It is available in directory
programs/compress. It explains itself by starting it without parameters
How do I uudecode binary uuencoded files sent via Mail?
- You need the program uudecode. On large computer systems, this program
should be available. If you need it on a PC you may get one of three
versions of the uudecode program source from the archives. They are
available in directory programs\compress:
- If you have a GW-BASIC interpreter, run the UUDECODE.BAS program.
It will create UUDECODE.COM.
- If you have the MS-DOS DEBUG program, create UUDECODE.COM by feeding
UUDECODE.DBG to DEBUG by giving the command:
DEBUG < UUDECODE.DBG
This will create UUDECODE.COM.
- If you have a C compiler, compile the UUDECODE.C program.
Start the uudecode program by giving the command:
Last updated by
Maarten van Gelder
on August 5, 1994.
Converted to HTML by
on February 15, 1995.
Return to Origami Page